The School of Computing and Information Sciences offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in Information Technology as a second major. This program is open to those students who are enrolled in and will be completing another Bachelor degree program or those who already have a Bachelor degree from an accredited institution. Computer Science and Computer Engineering are not accepted as the primary major.
Information Technology BA degree as a second major is intended to augment a student’s primary degree. As of the Fall 2010 semester, the requirements for the degree have changed. Courses that are marked with * are for students who declared the major before Fall 2010. Courses marked with + are for students who declare the major after the Summer 2010 semester.
All students must have completed the following courses (or equivalent) prior to starting the BA in Information Technology program.
- CGS2518 Computer Data Analysis
- COP2250 Programming in Java
- MAD1100 Math Concepts for IT
CGS2060 Introduction to Microcomputers
– OR –
CGS2100 Introduction to Micro for Business
All students must complete all of the following courses:
- CDA3003* Microcomputer Organization *
- CEN3721+ Human Computer Interaction +
- CGS3767 Computer Operating Systems
- CGS4285 Applied Computer Networking
- CGS4854 Web Site Construction and Management
- COP3804 Intermediate Java
- COP4703 Information Storage and Retrieval
All students must complete two elective courses from the following list:
- CIS4431 IT Automation
- CNT4403 Computer and Network Security
- CNT4504 Network Administration
- CNT4513 Data Communications
- COP3353* Intro to Using Unix/Linux *
- COP4005 Windows Programming for IT
- COP4655 Mobile Application Development
- COP4813 Web Application Programming
- COP4814 Component Based Development
- COP4722 DB Survey
- CTS4348 Unix Admin
- CTS4408 DB Admin
All students must complete two additional elective courses. Students who are completing their first major concurrent with their IT degree must choose their cognate elective courses from a list of designated courses from the department of their primary major, with the approval of an IT adviser. Students who have received their first BA degree prior to enrolling in the IT program must instead choose an additional two courses from the list of IT elective courses.