Patricia McDermott-WellsAssociate Teaching Professor
Over 35 years as a professional software developer and system software specialist, from mainframes to PCs. Now sharing my passion for technology to help launch the next generation of experts.
Honors and Awards
- FIU College of Engineering Excellence in Teaching award – 2016
- Nominated for FIU Faculty Senate Excellence in Teaching award – 2016
- SCIS Excellence in Teaching Award, 2013-2014
- FIU Adjunct Faculty Excellence-in-Teaching Award, 2011-2012
- Nominated for President’s Award for Access & Diversity, FIU Service & Recognition Awards, 2010
- Nominated for President’s Award for Access & Diversity, FIU Service & Recognition Awards, 2009
Research and Educational Interests
Software/technology for blind students to do math; alternative input technologies
2015 Ph.D., Computer Information Systems, Nova Southeastern University
1979 M.S., Management Science/Operations Research, University of Miami
1977 B.A., Mathematics, University of Miami
- ACM member
- Faculty Advisor for FIU STARS (Students in Technology, Academia, Research, and Service)
- FIU SCIS Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
- FIU Academic Integrity Committee
- FIU SCIS Instructor since 2000: IT, CS, and Math courses
- Senior Consultant, Mega-Data Services, Inc.: mainframe software development, training, and consulting; PC software development; instructional resources developer; courseware developer
- Patricia M. McDermott-Wells. 2015. Math in the Dark: Tools for Expressing Mathematical Content by Visually Impaired Students. Doctoral dissertation. Nova Southeastern University. Retrieved from NSUWorks, College of Engineering and Computing. (61) http://nsuworks.nova.edu/gscis_etd/61.
- McDermott-Wells, P. M. (2006). Evaluation of Three Stylus-Based Text Input Methods on a Pocket PC Mobile Device. Proceedings of IEEE SoutheastCon 2006 Conference, Memphis, TN. March 30-April 2, 2006.
- McDermott-Wells, P. M. (2004). What is Bluetooth? IEEE Potentials 23(5) 33-35. Ranked in top 10 most accessed articles in IEEE Potentials for December 2004, and top 100 in April 2005.
- McDermott-Wells, P. M. (2004). Bluetooth Scatternet Models. IEEE Potentials, 23(5) 36-39.