Remote Academic Advising

Your safety and well-being are important to us during this time. We have transitioned to offering remote academic advising for all majors using Zoom technology while fulfilling our commitment to serving and supporting our students and FIU community.

Prospective Students and Parents

Please email Joselyn Naranjo at for general information on our programs.

Undergraduate Student Advising

Deciding on a major and navigating any university system can be overwhelming. At the Advising Center, you can sit down with an advisor and figure out your career goals and make sure you are on the right track. Our doors are always open for students – whether you need to stop by for advice, to voice academic questions and concerns, or even if you just want to share exciting news.


Current Students

To make an appointment with your assigned advisor, please log into your myfiu account to access the Panther Success Network (PSN) tile. For general advising questions, send an email to and be sure to include in the subject you name, PID and advisor and state for reason for your inquiry. Advisors are available to receive advising appointments via Zoom, Monday through Friday.


What is the Panther Success Network?

The Panther Success Network (PSN) is a platform that will allow you to remain connected with members of your FIU Success Team, Academic Advisor, Success Coaches, Career Coaches and Tutors. PSN makes it easier for you to stay on track and provide alerts if you fall behind. PSN includes a record of advisor reports and notes that you may view at any time. For more information please visit the PSN website:


Panther Success Network (PSN):
     You can conveniently access the Panther Success Network (PSN) from your MyFIU portal.
      1.  Log onto MyFIU.
      2.  On your MyFIU homepage, select Student from the dropdown menu in the top center of the page
      3.  Click on the Academic Advising tile
      1.  Click on the Success Network tile
      2.  Click on the Go to Panther Success Network button
      3.  Finally, sign-in again using your FIU credentials


Additional Information

To participate in a virtual Zoom appointment, please make sure that you download the most up-to-date version of Zoom technology onto your computer or phone. Additional information and instructions on downloading and using Zoom as an attendee can be found here.

In addition, you should have access to a computer/laptop to view your Panther Degree Audit, as well as be in a location conducive to having your advising session.
Class registration for Summer and Fall 2020 will still take place as scheduled.


All classes have transitioned to remote learning including Summer A, B, and C. The university will continue to monitor the schedule for Fall 2020. Please check your FIU email and the FIU Homepage for important updates.

SCIS Advising Center

Florida International University, School of Computing and Information Sciences
11200 SW 8th St
Tech Station (PG 6) - 100
Miami, FL 33199
Phone: 305-348-7936

Graduate Student Advising

Please contact the graduate program director for your department.

Photo of a #FIUSCIS Student visiting an advisor

To better serve you please make an appointment

Undergraduate Advising Hours

Walk-in advising hours on campus are canceled until further notice. Students can schedule an online advising appointment with their assigned advisor through the Panther Success Network on their myfiu account.

The last student seen is a half-hour before the closing time.

Day Time
Monday9:00 AM – 07:00 PM     
Tuesday9:00 AM – 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM – 07:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM – 07:00 PM


Thursday9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Friday9:00 AM – 05:00 PM
Saturday9:00 AM – 02:00 PM

Prospective students will be seen during the first two weeks of each semester on Monday and Thursday only, 9 AM to 6:30 PM. After the first two weeks, prospective students will be seen Monday through Thursday from 9 AM to 4:30 PM.

Graduate Advising Hours

Day Time
Monday9:00 AM – 04:00 PM
Tuesday9:00 AM – 04:00 PM
Wednesday9:00 AM – 04:00 PM
Thursday9:00 AM – 02:00 PM
Friday9:00 AM – 04:00 PM

General FAQs

Find more FAQs on Computer Science and Information Technology programs.

How do I sign up for an internship/co-op?

Dr. Mario Eraso is the SCIS COOP Coordinator. He can be reached at

If you do not want college credit for your internship, skip everything else on this page. A noncredit internship does not involve any FIU forms, documents, or approval.  Please be mindful that internship credits DO NOT substitute an IT or CS elective.

To get started with Internships for Credit (COOP), complete the following steps:

Step 1: Contact the FIU Career and Talent Development office ( and register on their Web site. We highly recommend that you sign up for their Internship workshop.

Step 2: Contact Elery Rojas, Assistant Director of Internships, at to find out if the company offering your internship is registered with FIU Career Services. Her phone number is 305-348-5411.

Step 3: Work with your employer to complete this Learning Goals Agreement (pdf). Also, complete this Academic Credit Internship Application. Scan both documents into PDF format and email them to Dr. Eraso.

Step 4: You will receive an email from Dr. Mario Eraso indicating whether your application is approved, which course you can enroll in, and for how many credits. The number of credits you can take depends on the number of hours you work over a 3-month period: [10 hours/week = 1 credit], [20 hours/week = 2 credits], [25+ hours/week = 3 credits]. At this point, you can enroll in the approved course (either COP3949 or COP4949).

Step 5: Two weeks before the end of the semester, email the following three scanned documents as PDF files to Dr. Eraso: Internship Evaluation by Supervisor, Internship Evaluation by Student, and Internship Summary Report (see description below). Finally, you will need to click here to complete an online survey for the FIU Career and Talent Development office.

You will receive feedback by mail within 5 days indicating whether the documents are acceptable. You might be required to revise the report before it is accepted. When the report is approved, you will be assigned a Pass/Fail grade.

You are permitted to complete a maximum of 3 credits of COP 3949 during your undergraduate studies. After that, you may complete a maximum of 3 credits of COP 4949. If you have additional questions, please email Dr. Eraso.

How do I access my Panther Degree Audit (PDA)?

The Panther Degree Audit (PDA) can be accessed on under the ‘Academics’ drop down menu.

What are Academic Warning, Probation and Dismissal?


An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will be placed on warning, indicating academic difficulty.


An undergraduate student already on warning whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 during the following semester will be placed on probation, indicating serious academic difficulty. The College/School of the student on probation may indicate the conditions which must be met in order to continue enrollment.


An undergraduate student on probation whose cumulative and semester GPA are both below a 2.0 during the next semester will automatically be dismissed from his/her program and the University. An undergraduate student will not be dismissed prior to attempting a minimum of 20 semester hours of coursework. The student has ten working days to appeal the dismissal decision by following the Dismissal Appeal process. Approval of readmission appeal is not guaranteed.  The dismissal from the University is for a minimum of one year. After one year, the student may apply for re-admission (see Re-admission) to the University in the same or a different program, or register as a non-degree seeking student. Dismissed students applying for re-admission or registering as non-degree seeking students are placed on academic probation.

What is the Forgiveness Policy?

The forgiveness policy is a method by which students may repeat a limited number of courses to improve their grade point average (GPA). Only the grade received on the last repeat is used in the GPA calculation. Under the University’s forgiveness policy, students must file a Repeated Course Form with the Office of the Registrar. There is no time limit on the use of the forgiveness policy for grades; however, the forgiveness policy cannot be used once a degree is posted. All courses taken with the grades earned will be recorded on the student’s transcript. The repeated course form will not be processed if the first or repeated grade received is DR, DP, IF, W, WI, WP, AU, NR, or EM. Repeated courses will be appropriately designated (T: attempted; R: last repeat). Undergraduate students may use the forgiveness policy a maximum of three times for the purpose of improving their GPA. The same course may be repeated up to three times or the student may use the three opportunities to apply to three different courses. Only the final grade for the three courses repeated under the forgiveness policy will be counted in computing the student’s GPA. In order for a course to be considered as repeated and adjusted in the GPA, the course must be the same and must be repeated at the University. Students who have used their three options under the forgiveness policy may still repeat courses; however, both the original grade and any additional grades received through repetitions of the course will be used in computing the GPA. A course taken on a letter grade basis must be repeated on the same basis. Students will not be allowed additional credit or quality points for a repeated course unless the course is specifically designated as repeatable (independent study, studio courses, etc.). Students not using the forgiveness policy may still repeat a course. All attempts will apply to computation of the GPA but credit for one attempt will apply toward graduation.

What is the difference between a dual degree and a second major?

A dual degree is exactly what it says: you get two separate degrees and diplomas. You must complete all the requirements for the two-degree programs. In addition, you must complete at least 30 more credits beyond the minimum required for the first degree. If the first degree requires 120 credits, then you will need at least 150 to earn the second degree. If the first degree requires 128 credits, then you will need at least 158 credits to earn the second degree.

A second major is not always available. Some majors will require a second degree, instead. You must complete all the degree requirements for both majors. The difference is that the minimum number of credits to earn the two majors is the same as the number of credits for the first major. If the first major requires 120 credits, then you will need at least 120 to earn both majors. If the first major requires 128 credits, then you will need at least 128 credits to earn both majors.

Upon successful completion of the requirements of the two majors, the student will be awarded one degree and a notation denoting both majors will be entered on the transcript.

You may earn a dual degree or a second major in IT and CS.

If you want the second major option, then declare your other major first, then see a SCIS adviser to declare the second major.

If you want the dual degree option, then declare one degree first, then see an adviser in the other degree to declare the second degree.

In terms of career, how are the IT and CS degrees different?

With a CS degree, you would probably start your career as a programmer for a large company. As you gain experience, you would move into software development.

With an IT degree, you would be hired as a member of the technical support staff. You would be required to add user accounts, install software and hardware, troubleshoot hardware and software, administer the network, administer the database, administer the web server, administer the web site, write dynamic web pages.

Do I need to take the CLAST exams?

CLAST is no longer a university requirement.

I already speak a foreign language, will this fulfill the language requirement?

If you can read, speak, and write a foreign language, then there are several options available for fulfilling the language requirement.

  1. You may take a CLEP exam in German, French or Spanish.
  2. You may take a 2000 level (or higher) course in your language.
  3. If there is no CLEP for your language, it is possible to arrange an exam through the Dean with a faculty member who speaks your language.

What happens when my GPA falls below 2.0?

When your GPA falls below 2.0, then you are on Academic Warning the first semester. On subsequent, consecutive smesters with a GPA below 2.0, you are on Academic Probation.

If you are on Academic Probation then you must maintain a 2.0 or above for the courses you take that semester. If your semester average falls below 2.0, then you will be dismissed from FIU for one year.

If you are on probation, then do not overload yourself with course work. It is very important that you maintain a semester average of 2.0.

How can I find the FIU catalog online?

Follow this link