Dr. Narasimhan is a professor in the Knight Foundation School of Computing & Information Sciences at Florida International University (FIU) and is an expert in the area of Algorithms, Bioinformatics, and Data Science. He recently served as the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies in the College of Engineering and Computing. Dr. Narasimhan received a B.Tech. in electrical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay. In 1989 he was awarded a Ph.D. in computer science from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. After being on the faculty in the Department of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Memphis, he joined Florida International University as an associate professor in 2001 and was promoted to full professor in 2004. Dr. Narasimhan heads the Bioinformatics Research Group (BioRG) in Knight Foundation School of Computing & Information Sciences, and is involved in interdisciplinary research collaborating with diverse groups form different disciplines. He has twice won the Excellence in Research Award from SCIS and also the Excellence in Research Award from FIU. He is on the steering committee of the Biomolecular Sciences Institute. He is on the editorial board of international journals and has been a Program Committee member on numerous international conferences. He has given many Keynote addresses at international conferences and is the recipient of many research, training and equipment grants from Federal agencies such as NSF, NIH, and Army Research Office, and State agencies such as the Florida Department of Health, and from the industry.
Research and Educational Interests
- Data Science
1989 Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Narasimhan, M., Vietri, Mehta, Rajabli, Aguiar-Pulido, Mathee, Narasimhan, Predicting Symptom Severity and Contagiousness of Respiratory Viral Infections F1000Research 2016, 5(ISCB Comm J):1663 (poster) (DOI: 10.7490/f1000research.1112564.1). Best Poster Award ISMB-SCS.
- Mesa, Fernandez, Wu, Narasimhan, Greidinger, Mills, Can SLE classification rules be effectively applied to diagnose unclear SLE cases? Lupus, 2016.
- Huang, Kazmierczak, Zhou, Aguiar-Pulido, Narasimhan, Szczesna-Cordary, Gene Expression Patterns in Transgenic Mouse Models of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Caused by Mutations in Myosin Regulatory Light Chain, In Special Issue on “Myofilament Modulation of Cardiac Contraction” in Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 601: 121–132, 2016.
- Li, Jean-Baptiste, Riveros, Narasimhan, Zhang, Zhao, CacheDedup: In-line cache deduplication for Flash Caching, Proceedings of FAST, 301-314, 2016.
- Cickovski, Aguiar-Pulido, Huang, Mahmud, Narasimhan, Lightweight Microbiome Analysis Pipeline, Proceedings of IWBBIO, pp 225–227, 2016.