Nagarajan PrabakarAssociate Professor
Dr. Prabakar developed a scheme to access vast amount of spatial data from a semantic database and flyover the data in real-time – this emerged as TerraFly software from High Performance Database Research Center, FIU. He has also designed dynamic mosaicking algorithms for spatial images and integrated vector GIS data with spatial data sets. Towards external funding, eight grant proposals were funded for a total amount of $13.7M with Dr. Prabakar’s role in these proposals as Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator, or Senior Investigator. Currently, Dr. Prabakar is working with a team of his colleagues on a fault-tolerant distributed computing grid with large number of sensors.
Honors and Awards
- Excellence in Service Award, College of Engineering and Computing, FIU, 2012
- Excellence in Service Award, School of Computing and Information Sciences, 2011
- Teaching Incentive Program Award at Florida International University, 1995
- University of Queensland M.I.M. Holdings Ltd. prize for attaining the highest level of academic achievement in Computer Science Postgraduate Studies, 1982 and 1984
- University of Queensland Postgraduate Research Scholarship, 1981 – 1984
- Gold medal for securing the first rank in B.E. at Annamalai University, 1977
Research and Educational Interests
- Distributed Sensor Networks
- Grid Computing
- Computer Networks
- Image Processing for Spatial Data
- Multimedia Databases
1985 Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Queensland
1979 M.E., Automation, Indian Institute of Science
- Subject area coordinator: 2003 – present
- Undergraduate Committee Chair: 2006 – 2012, 2014 – present
- College Curriculum Committee Chair: 2010 – 2013
- Faculty Senator: 2011 – 2013
- Faculty Senate Nominating Committee Member: 2011 – 2013
- University Curriculum Committee Chair: 2010 – 2012
Aug 1991 – present
Associate Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199
Aug 1985 – Aug 1991
Assistant Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199
Aug 1984 – Aug 1985
Visiting Assistant Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199
Jul 1981 – Aug 1984
Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science, University of Queensland, Australia
Nov 1979 – Jul 1981
Assistant Executive Engineer, Indian Telephone Industries, Bangalore, India
- J. Soni, N. Prabakar, and H. Upadhyay: ‘Feature Extraction through Deepwalk on Weighted Graph’, Proceedings of the 2019 International Conference on Data Science (ICDATA’19), Las Vegas, July 29 – August 1, 2019.
- J. Soni, N. Prabakar, and H. Upadhyay: ‘Deep Learning Approach to Detect Malicious Attacks at System Level’, Proceedings of the 12th ACM Conference on Security and Privacy in Wireless and Mobile Networks (WiSec’19), Miami, Florida, DOI: 10.1145/3317549.3326308, May 15-17, 2019.
- G.S. Thejas, J. Soni, K. Chandna, S.S. Iyengar, N.R. Sunitha, and N. Prabakar: ‘Learning-Based Model to Fight against Fake Like Clicks on Instagram Posts’, Proceedings of the IEEE SoutheastCon 2019, Huntsville, Alabama, April 11-14, 2019.
- J. Soni and N. Prabakar: ‘Effective Machine Learning Approach to Detect Groups of Fake Reviewers’, Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Data Science (ICDATA’18), Las Vegas, pp. 74-78, July 30-August 2, 2018.
- YJ Jung, HY Park, K. Maitra, N. Prabakar, and J-H Kim: ‘Real-Time, Simultaneous and Proportional Myoelectric Control for Robotic Rehabilitation Therapy of Stroke Survivors’, Therapeutic Science for Neurorehabilitation, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 78-87, 2018.
- J-H Kim, G. Sharma, I. Cardenas, D. Kim, N. Prabakar, and S.S. Iyengar: ‘DynamicPIN: A Novel Approach Towards Secure ATM Authentication’, Proceedings of the 4th Annual Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI’17), Las Vegas, December 14-16, 2017.
- J-H Kim, N. Prabakar, G. Sharma, and S.S. Iyengar: ‘Inspiring Innovative Aspirations among Undergraduate Students’. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Science Education: Innovation and Technology (CSEIT 2017), Singapore, October 9-10, 2017 ISSN 2251-2195 DOI: 10.5176/2251-2195_CSEIT17.58.
- J. Soni, N. Prabakar, and J-H Kim: ‘Prediction of Component Failures of Telepresence Robot with Temporal Data’. 30th Florida Conference on Recent Advances in Robotics, Boca Raton, pp.178-181, May 11-12, 2017.