New B.A. in Computer Science

The B.A in Computer Science (CS) is intended for students targeting a career in the field of computing. The program provides strong skills in Computer Science combined with their choice of another degree programs such as Digital Media, Business, Economics and more. Also, flexible elective courses to be taken outside of the degree program.

Students will gain knowledge and experience in the basics of computer science, including computer organization and architecture, data structures and related algorithms, and programming languages plus technical skills and application of technology. The B.A. in Computer Science is SACS accredited, but unlike our B.S. in Computer Science, it is non-ABET accredited.

Click here to get more details on the B.A. in Computer Science

Prospective Students and Parents

If you are a prospective student or parent, reach out to our Advising team by phone or email for general information, set an appointment assistance or for our Advisor Walk-in hours

Call us at (305) 348-7936 or Email us at

Current Students

If you are a current FIU student you can schedule an appointment with your assigned advisor via the my_eAdvisor dashboard. To access your student dashboard, please go to your student page at and look for the FIU Graduation Cap/My_eAdvisor logo (Student Dashboard).

FAQ about B.A. in Computer Science

What do I need to do to change my major to the BA in CS?

You will need to stop by the Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences Advising office in PG6-100 to meet with an advisor.

What is ABET?

ABET is a nonprofit, non-governmental organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. It accredits college and university programs in the disciplines of applied science, computing, engineering and engineering technology at the associate, bachelor and master degree levels.

What is the difference between the BS and the BA in Computer Science?

The BS in Computer Science (BS in CS) is heavy in math and science courses and the BA in Computer Science (BA in CS) is not. Some courses that are required for the BS in CS that are not required for the BA in CS is: Calculus1, Calculus 2, Physics with Calculus 1, Physics with Calculus 2 and Senior Project. Also, the BS in CS degree is accredited by ABET and the BA in CS degree is not.

General FAQs

I have taken a prerequisite for a course at another school. Why does Panther Soft report that I am missing the prerequisite?

There is a flaw in the online system. It can only see courses that were taken at FIU. As long as the prereqs were taken at FIU, then you will not have a problem registering. Unfortunately, if a prereq is a transfer course, then you will need to obtain permission from an adviser to take the course.

How do I access my Panther Degree Audit (PDA)?

The Panther Degree Audit (PDA) can be accessed from

How do I sign up for an internship?

Finding an internship is the responsibility of the student. Most of the paperwork for an internship is handled by the Career Services department at FIU (Career Services)

The general steps for internships is:

  1. Student registers with Career services for an internship.
  2. Student fills out the necessary paperwork to enroll in COP-3949 through Career Services.
  3. Student fulfills the internship terms.
  4. Student is rated by the supervisor at the company of the internship.
  5. Student is given a grade by Dr. Barton of Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences, based upon the supervisor’s evaluation.

What is the difference between a dual degree and a second major?

A dual degree is exactly what it says: you get two separate degrees and diplomas. You must complete all the requirements for the two-degree programs. In addition, you must complete at least 30 more credits beyond the minimum required for the first degree. If the first degree requires 120 credits, then you will need at least 150 to earn the second degree. If the first degree requires 128 credits, then you will need at least 158 credits to earn the second degree.

A second major is not always available. Some majors will require a second degree, instead. You must complete all the degree requirements for both majors. The difference is that the minimum number of credits to earn the two majors is the same as the number of credits for the first major. If the first major requires 120 credits, then you will need at least 120 to earn both majors. If the first major requires 128 credits, then you will need at least 128 credits to earn both majors.

Upon successful completion of the requirements of the two majors, the student will be awarded one degree and a notation denoting both majors will be entered on the transcript.

You may earn a dual degree or a second major in IT and CS.

If you want the second major option, then declare your other major first, then see a Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences adviser to declare the second major.

If you want the dual degree option, then declare one degree first, then see an adviser in the other degree to declare the second degree.

I will be a transfer student. Which prerequisite classes should I take at my current institution before I transfer to FIU.

You should try to take a Java programming class at your current school. That is the most important class, since it is a prerequisite for all of the CS classes.

In addition to Java Programming, these classes can be taken

  1. Discrete Math
  2. Ethics and Social Issues in Computing
  3. Physics with Calculus I & II with labs
  4. Calculus I & II
  5. Two additional science classes for science majors

Do I need to take CGS 1920?

CGS1920 is not required if you declared your major before the Fall 2007 term.

Also, students transferring at least 60 credits or an AA or AS from a Florida community college or with a Bachelor degree are exempted
from the course.

In terms of career, how are the IT and CS degrees different?

With a CS degree, you would probably start your career as a programmer for a large company. As you gain experience, you would move into software development.

With an IT degree, you would be hired as a member of the technical support staff. You would be required to add user accounts, install software and hardware, troubleshoot hardware and software, administer the network, administer the database, administer the web server, administer the web site, write dynamic web pages.

How can I take a course at another school?

In order to take a course at another school, you must fill out a transient student form.

  1. Taking a course at another school is only allowed when you will be out of town for a semester. It is not intended for taking a course in Miami at a different school.
  2. Courses cannot be taken at another school during the final 30 credits of your degree.
  3. Go to
  4. Select College Student -> Transient Student Form
  5. Fill out the form.
  6. You will receive an approval or rejection from FIU via email.
  7. Contact the other school to complete the transient student request.

What are Academic Warning, Probation and Dismissal?


An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 will be placed on warning, indicating academic difficulty.


An undergraduate student on warning whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will be placed on probation, indicating serious academic difficulty. The College/School of the student on probation may indicate the conditions which must be met in order to continue enrollment.


An undergraduate student on probation whose cumulative and semester GPAs fall below a 2.0 will automatically be dismissed from his/her program and the University. An undergraduate student will not be dismissed prior to attempting a minimum of 20 semester hours of coursework. The student has ten working days to appeal the dismissal decision. This appeal must be made in writing to the dean of the College or the School in which the student is admitted. The dismissal from the University is for a minimum of one year. After one year, the student may apply for re-admission (see Re-admission) to the University in the same or a different program, or register as a non-degree seeking student. Dismissed students applying for re-admission or registering as non-degree seeking students are placed on academic probation.

What is the Forgiveness Policy?

The forgiveness policy is a method by which students may repeat a limited number of courses to improve their grade point average (GPA). Only the grade received on the last repeat is used in the GPA calculation. Under the University’s forgiveness policy, students must file a Repeated Course Form with the Office of the Registrar. There is no time limit on the use of the forgiveness policy for grades; however, the forgiveness policy cannot be used once a degree is posted. All courses taken with the grades earned will be recorded on the student’s transcript. The repeated course form will not be processed if the first or repeated grade received is DR, DP, IF, W, WI, WP, AU, NR, or EM. Repeated courses will be appropriately designated (T: attempted; R: last repeat). Undergraduate students may use the forgiveness policy a maximum of three times for the purpose of improving their GPA. The same course may be repeated up to three times or the student may use the three opportunities to apply to three different courses. Only the final grade for the three courses repeated under the forgiveness policy will be counted in computing the student’s GPA. In order for a course to be considered as repeated and adjusted in the GPA, the course must be the same and must be repeated at the University. Students who have used their three options under the forgiveness policy may still repeat courses; however, both the original grade and any additional grades received through repetitions of the course will be used in computing the GPA. A course taken on a letter grade basis must be repeated on the same basis. Students will not be allowed additional credit or quality points for a repeated course unless the course is specifically designated as repeatable (independent study, studio courses, etc.). Students not using the forgiveness policy may still repeat a course. All attempts will apply to computation of the GPA but credit for one attempt will apply toward graduation.

I have taken some of the UCC classes at another school. Can they be used in place of the UCC classes at FIU.

Bring the descriptions of these classes to an adviser. We will use the descriptions to request that the courses be used in place of the UCC classes.

Do I need to take the corresponding labs for the CS science electives?

For Physics with Calculus, you must also take the labs.

For the additional two science classes, CS does not require the labs. However, if you are also trying to meet a lower division requirement at the same time, then you may need to take the lab to fulfill that other requirement.

I have met all of my CS requirements, but I still need more credits. Are there any classes that I cannot take for credit towards graduation?

The following courses are not acceptable for credit toward graduation, unless a student has passed the course before declaring a Computer Science major: CGS 2060, CGS 3300, CGS 2100, COP 3175, MAC 2233, STA 1013, STA 2023, STA 2122, STA 3123, QMB 3200, ESI 3161, any computer related course offered by another department. The IT classes that are similar to CS classes cannot be taken for credit.

One-and two-credit physical activity courses (with the prefixes PEL, PEM, PEN) can be included as part of the hours needed for graduation.

Do I need to take the CLAST exams?

CLAST is no longer a university requirement.

I have an AS degree. Will I need to take classes other than those required for the major?

Yes. The AS degree does not force you to take enough classes outside your area of concentration in order to meet the University Core Curriculum (UCC) requirements. Please review the UCC in the catalog, or bring a transcript to an advisor.

How many of my credits can be transferred from a two year school?

From a two-year school, like a community college, it is possible to transfer 60 credits.

We are able to transfer all of your courses, if they are equivalent to FIU courses, but they will only count as 60 credits. In other words, if you took 80 credits worth of classes and they were all equivalent to FIU classes, then all the courses would be applied to your FIU transcript, but they would only count as 60 FIU credits.

This means that you would still need to take at least 60 credits at FIU in order to graduate with a degree from FIU.

Additional courses have been added to the CS requirements since I declared my major. Do I have to take these additional classes?

You have a choice. You can graduate under the requirements that were in effect when you declared your major as an upper division student (known as your catalog year), or you can graduate under the new requirements.

I do not speak a foreign language, but I took foreign language classes in High School. Do I need to take foreign language classes at FIU?

Any student who was admitted with a foreign language deficiency must successfully complete two semesters of sequential instruction in one foreign language prior to graduation. So, if you passed two years of one language in High School, then you do not need to take any foreign language classes at FIU.

Will the MDC classes CHM 1025 and BSC1005 satisfy the science requirement for the Computer Science degree?

No. Theses courses will not satisfy the science requirement because they are not designed for science majors.

I am a student at MDC, do I need to take BSC2010, BSC2011, CHM1045, CHM1046 and labs?

These classes are not required classes. They are choices for meeting the science requirement for the Computer Science degree. You do not need to take them at MDC. If you wait until entering FIU, then there is a larger selection of science classes that you can choose from. The complete list of courses can be seen on the web page for the CS degree.

If you decide to take these classes at MDC, then please be aware that you only need to take two of these classes, not all four. It is also possible to choose from BOT 1010 and ZOO 1010 at MDC for the science requirement.

As a final note, PHY 2048, PHY 2049 and labs are required for the CS degree, but they do not need to be taken at MDC. It is possible to be accepted into the CS program without having taken any of the science classes.

I have taken a course in C++ (or Pascal, C, or Fortran), do I still need to take Programming I?

You should take the Programming I class. The main reason is that Programming I at FIU uses the Java programming language, and so does Programming II. In order to be properly prepared for Programming II, you will need to understand how to program in Java.

If you have already take a class in C++, and have learned to program in Java on your own, then contact an advisor.

I have taken a programming course in Visual Basic, do I need to take Programming I?

Yes, you still have to take Programming I. Visual Basic is an excellent language, but it will not prepare you for the second programming course, which uses the Java language.

How can I view the list of courses that are being offered for the upcoming semester?

Do a class search in Panther Soft.

In order to see the classes that you need in order to finish your requirements, use the Panther Degree Audit (PDA).

From the PDA, click on a course that you need. From the next page, click the View Sections button, then select the desired semester.

I already speak a foreign language, will this fulfill the language requirement?

If you can read, speak, and write a foreign language, then there are several options available for fulfilling the language requirement.

  1. You may take a CLEP exam in German, French or Spanish.
  2. You may take a 2000 level (or higher) course in your language.
  3. If there is no CLEP for your language, it is possible to arrange an exam through the Dean with a faculty member who speaks your language.

If I complete all my required CS courses, will I be able to graduate?

You still may be missing upper division credits even after you complete all of the required courses for the CS degree.

All Engineering students must complete at least 35 upper division credits at FIU. Take additional 3000-4000 level course in order to meet the Upper Division requirement.

These can be almost any upper division course. There are a few courses that cannot be taken for credit by CS majors, see the FAQ about acceptable courses for CS majors. See an adviser if you have a doubt.

I am have over 60 credits from a Community College, why were only 60 credits transferred?

Since a Community College is a two-year institute, we only accept 60 credits. These correspond to the credit for the first two years of course work. All of your courses have been accepted, but they only count as 60 credits.

This means that you will need to earn at least 60 credits at FIU. In most cases, you will actually need more than 60 credits at FIU to complete your degree.

What happens when my GPA falls below 2.0?

When your GPA falls below 2.0, then you are on Academic Warning the first semester. On subsequent, consecutive smesters with a GPA below 2.0, you are on Academic Probation.

If you are on Academic Probation then you must maintain a 2.0 or above for the courses you take that semester. If your semester average falls below 2.0, then you will be dismissed from FIU for one year.

If you are on probation, then do not overload yourself with course work. It is very important that you maintain a semester average of 2.0.

How can I find the UCC requirements online?

Follow this link to the FIU catalog: FIU UCC Requirements

How can I find the FIU catalog online?

Follow this link

I am transferring from another school. Do I have to complete all the prerequisites before being admitted to FIU?

You can be admitted to FIU without completing the prerequisites. Any missing prerequisites become additional required classes at FIU.

What is the difference between the CS degree and the IT degree?

In simple terms, the CS degree will train you to be a programmer, while the IT degree will train you to be a technical support professional.

In order to decide which degree you desire, try to imagine the type of job you want when you graduate. If you dream of writing programs for a software development company (IBM, Microsoft, …), then choose the CS degree. If you like to install hardware/software, set up and administer a network, manage a web server, do simple web programming, and administer a database, then choose the IT degree.

Will the Computer Security class count as a Computer Science elective?

No, CNT4403 Network and Computing Security cannot count as a CS elective course.

Which Physics course do I need to take?

You need to take Physics with Calculus, I & II, with labs. If you declared your major before 2000, then you may take Physics without Calculus.

Can I take classes at other schools to meet FIU requirements.

It is possible to take classes at other schools after you have been accepted to FIU. However, there are some restrictions.

  1. You are only allowed to transfer 60 credits from a junior or community college. You need to have 120 credits in order to graduate from FIU. You can still fulfill degree program requirements, but you will not earn additional credit.
  2. You must fill out a Transient Student Form at, listing the course you wish to take. You must then wait for the course to be approved via email from FIU before enrolling in the course. If you fail to get this approval and still take the course, you WILL NOT receive transfer credit and will have to retake the course at FIU.
  3. Transient student requests are to be used when you will be out of town for a semester. They are not to be used to attend another school in Miami.
  4. Your final 30 credits must be earned at FIU. There can be a small exception to this rule in special circumstances.

Why was Programming I offered as COP 2994 for Spring 2002?

Programming I was offered as COP 2994 for Spring 2002 because the course was changed from 3 credit hours to 4 credit hours. If your SASS report did not give you credit for COP2210 for this course, then contact an advisor.

I am currently working on becoming MCSE certified for Windows 2000. I am also A+ certified. I was wondering if either of these certifications would receive any credit towards a Computer Science or Information Technology degree at FIU.

No credit is given for either of these certifications.

I am looking for some information regarding a second bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. I am an alumni of F.I.U., having graduated at the end of 1977. If I pursue the second bachelor’s degree, do I have to retake the general education courses?

The requirements for a second bachelor’s degree are as follows:

  1. You must complete at least 30 credits beyond your first degree.
  2. You must complete the specific requirements of the second major. In particular, you are not required to take the General Education requirements again.

Most students completing a second degree with a major in Computer Science can expect to have to complete between 45 and 76 credits depending on what courses were taken in their first degree. The specific requirements for the BS in Computer Science are available from our webpage at

I can’t register because I have a hold but my gpa is above 2.0

You have a US hold. You have to declare your major formally (fill out a form and have it signed by a CS advisor).

Can I take the physics courses at another school?

If you are already at FIU, you should take the courses at FIU. You may ask for a special permission under certain conditions (see an adviser).

Can I get a minor in IT?

No. There is no minor for IT. Even if there was one, CS students could not get it.

After I complete all of my requirements, do I have to do anything special in order to graduate?

You must apply for graduation through It is a good idea to see an advisor before applying for graduation, just to make sure that there are not any missing requirements. The deadline for applying is always within a few weeks of the start of the semester.

After you submit the application, contact an adviser to confirm that the application is in the system.

// Live helper chat widget begin // Live helper chat widget end