Information Technology FAQ

I want to change my major to computer science. I would like to know what are the steps or process I have to do to change my major.

In order to change your major you will need to stop by the Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences Advising office in PG6-100 to talk to an adviser.  Your change of major request will be submitted to the Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences Change of Major committee.  An email will be sent to you after the Change of Major committee comes up with a decision.  The whole process take about a week.

Advising hours:

What happened to COP4009 as an IT elective in Application Development?

COP4009 is no longer offered.

If you are under the requirements that were in effect before Fall 2010, you may take COP4814 (Component Based Software Development) instead. After doing so, you can ask the Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences advisors to make a substitution in your Panther Degree Audit.

If you are on the requirements in effect since Fall 2010, then COP4814 is a core class and may not be used as an elective.

I am under the requirements that went into effect in Fall 2010. The requirements state that I can do an internship to count as my fifth IT elective. How do I set this up?

In Fall 2013 the Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences eliminated the option that permitted internships to be substituted for IT Elective Credit.

How do I sign up for an internship/co-op?

Please see COOP Internships on KFSCIS Careerpath:

I have taken a prerequisite for a course at another school. Why does PantherSoft report that I am missing the prerequisite?

Transfer courses are evaluated by the Transfer and Transition Services office.  If the TTS staff determines that the transfer course is equivalent to FIU courses then the Transfer Credit report will show the equivalent FIU course.  The system will recognize any courses taken at FIU and any transfer courses evaluated and determined to be equivalent to FIU courses. If the system reports that the prerequisite is missing it may be that the transfer course has not been evaluated yet or that it is not equivalent to any courses at FIU.

I am under the requirements that were in effect before Fall 2010 and have completed my minor. Why doesn’t my PDA show that my minor is complete.

The PDA will show that it is incomplete until you apply for graduation.

Only the minor adviser can certify the minor. Minors are not certified until the graduation application is processed. Please check with a minor adviser to be sure you have met the requirements.

Where can I see a list of the interdisciplinary courses?

You will have to do some research to find the courses for the interdisciplinary courses.

One place to get information is to speak with an adviser in the minor or certificate area. Ask the advisor which courses are needed to complete the minor or certificate, then take nine of those credits.

Another place to look for information is in the catalog. Go to the FIU catalog at Find the undergraduate catalog for the current year and follow the Admissions and Registration Information link, then follow the Academic Programs Link. This page will list all of the majors, minors, and certificates that are offered at FIU. Select the minor or certificate that interests you and look up the catalog information for it. The minor information will be listed after the major information in the section of the catalog for the department that offers it. All certificates have their own section in the catalog.

Be sure that all nine credits are for the same minor or certificate. The nine credits cannot overlap with courses that are taken for the IT major.

After I complete all my IT requirements and UCC requirements, will I be able to graduate?

You still may be missing some requirements and/or upper division credits.  College of Engineering and Computing students must complete at least 35 upper division credits, 3000-4000 level courses, at FIU.

Please meet with your adviser if you have any doubts regarding graduation requirements.

How do I access my Panther Degree Audit (PDA)?

The Panther Degree Audit (PDA) can be accessed on under the ‘Academics’ drop down menu.

What is the difference between a dual degree and a second major?

A Dual Degree or Second Bachelor is exactly what it says: you get two separate degrees and diplomas. You must complete all the requirements for the two-degree programs. In addition, you must complete at least 30 more credits beyond the minimum required for the first degree. If the first degree requires 120 credits, then you will need to complete at least 150 credits to earn the second degree. If the first degree requires 128 credits, then you will need to complete at least 158 credits to earn the second degree.

A Second Major is not always available. Some majors will require a second degree, instead. For a Second Major, you must complete all the degree requirements for both majors. The difference is that the minimum number of credits to earn the two majors is the same as the number of credits for the first major. If the first major requires 120 credits, then you will need at least 120 to earn both majors. If the first major requires 128 credits, then you will need at least 128 credits to earn both majors.

Upon successful completion of the requirements of the two majors, the student will be awarded one degree and a notation denoting both majors will be entered on the transcript.

You may earn a Dual Degree or a Second Major in IT or CS.

If you want the Second Major option, then declare your other major first, then see a Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences adviser to declare the Second Major.

If you want the Dual Degree option, then declare one degree first, then see the other degree program adviser to declare the second degree.

My Major is Information Technology (as a single major). Would taking the Business Calculus take care of the Pre-Calculus credit?

You may complete the pre-calculus requirement for the IT program with any of these options.

  • MAC2147 – Precalculus
  • MAC2233 – Business Calculus
  • MAC1105 and MAC1114 – Algebra and Trigonometry

Can certifications take the place of courses?

Currently, we will waive classes for some certificates; however, no credit is received towards graduation. When a class is waived, then the requirement is met, but no credits are granted.

Students who declared the major after Summer 2010

CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Linux+
The IT Technician Exams along with the Linux+ exam can be used to waive the class CGS3767.
CompTIA Network+
The Network+ exam can be used to waive CGS4285.
The CCNA exam can be used to waive CGS4285.

Students who declared the major before Fall 2010

CompTIA A+
The IT Technician Exams can be used to waive the classes CGS3767 and CDA3003 (formerly COP3643).
CompTIA Network+
The Network+ exam can be used to waive CGS4285.
The CCNA exam can be used to waive CGS4285.
CompTIA Linux+
The CompTIA Linux+ Exam can be used to waive COP3353 (formerly COP3348).

Do I need to take CGS 1920?

The answer depends on when you declared your major. If you formally declared your major prior to the Fall 2007 term, then it is not required.

You are also exempt from the course if you are a transferring an AA, AS, Bachelor degree or at least 60 credits.

In terms of career, how are the IT and CS degrees different?

With a CS degree, you would probably start your career as a programmer for a large company. As you gain experience, you would move into software development.

With an IT degree, you would be hired as a member of the technical support staff. You would be required to add user accounts, install software and hardware, troubleshoot hardware and software, administer the network, administer the database, administer the web server, administer the web site, write dynamic web pages.

Can I take a course at another school while I am registered at FIU?

In order to take a course at another school you must fill out the Transient Student application.

  1. Courses cannot be taken at another school during the final 30 credits of your degree.
  2. Go to
  3. Select “Apply or Check Application Status Now”.
  4. The PIN/Pasword required to access the form can be found on your MyFIU account under “Personal Information” by clicking on ‘FLVC-PIN’.
  5. Fill out the form.
  6. You will receive an approval or rejection from FIU via email.
  7. You may have to contact the other school to complete the transient student request.

What are Academic Warning, Probation and Dismissal?


An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will be placed on warning, indicating academic difficulty.


An undergraduate student already on warning whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 during the following semester will be placed on probation, indicating serious academic difficulty. The College/School of the student on probation may indicate the conditions which must be met in order to continue enrollment.


An undergraduate student on probation whose cumulative and semester GPA are both below a 2.0 during the next semester will automatically be dismissed from his/her program and the University. An undergraduate student will not be dismissed prior to attempting a minimum of 20 semester hours of coursework. The student has ten working days to appeal the dismissal decision by following the Dismissal Appeal process. Approval of readmission appeal is not guaranteed.  The dismissal from the University is for a minimum of one year. After one year, the student may apply for re-admission (see Re-admission) to the University in the same or a different program, or register as a non-degree seeking student. Dismissed students applying for re-admission or registering as non-degree seeking students are placed on academic probation.

What is the Forgiveness Policy?

The forgiveness policy is a method by which students may repeat a limited number of courses to improve their grade point average (GPA). Only the grade received on the last repeat is used in the GPA calculation. Under the University’s forgiveness policy, students must file a Repeated Course Form with the Office of the Registrar. There is no time limit on the use of the forgiveness policy for grades; however, the forgiveness policy cannot be used once a degree is posted. All courses taken with the grades earned will be recorded on the student’s transcript. The repeated course form will not be processed if the first or repeated grade received is DR, DP, IF, W, WI, WP, AU, NR, or EM. Repeated courses will be appropriately designated (T: attempted; R: last repeat). Undergraduate students may use the forgiveness policy a maximum of three times for the purpose of improving their GPA. The same course may be repeated up to three times or the student may use the three opportunities to apply to three different courses. Only the final grade for the three courses repeated under the forgiveness policy will be counted in computing the student’s GPA. In order for a course to be considered as repeated and adjusted in the GPA, the course must be the same and must be repeated at the University. Students who have used their three options under the forgiveness policy may still repeat courses; however, both the original grade and any additional grades received through repetitions of the course will be used in computing the GPA. A course taken on a letter grade basis must be repeated on the same basis. Students will not be allowed additional credit or quality points for a repeated course unless the course is specifically designated as repeatable (independent study, studio courses, etc.). Students not using the forgiveness policy may still repeat a course. All attempts will apply to computation of the GPA but credit for one attempt will apply toward graduation.

I have taken some of the UCC classes at another school. Can they be used in place of the UCC classes at FIU.

Bring the descriptions of these classes to an adviser. We will use the descriptions to request that the courses be used in place of the UCC classes.

What minor should I choose for a BS in IT?

The best advice is to choose a minor that interests you.

The minor should help you to get a job when you graduate. IT does not stand alone these days, it is usually related to another field: banking, insurance, etc. Pick a minor in a field in which you would like to work.

If you don’t have a preference for a minor, then you might consider a minor in Business or Entrepreneurship.

Some students are interested in Web Design. There is no minor for Web Design; however, some students have obtained a minor in Art and have chosen classes that relate to general design principles.

What classes that were taken as a CS major can be applied to the IT degree?

The following CS classes can be applied to the IT program

  • COP2210 in Java equates to COP2250
  • COP3337 in Java equates to COP3804
  • ENC3213
  • MAD2104 equates to MAD1100
  • COP3530 and CEN4010 can count as Application Development electives
  • MAC2311 equates to MAC2147

I have an AS degree. Will I need to take classes other than those required for the major?

Yes. The AS degree does not force you to take enough classes outside your area of concentration in order to meet the University Core Curriculum (UCC) requirements. Please review the UCC in the catalog, or bring a transcript to an advisor.

How many of my credits can be transferred from a two year school?

From a two-year school, like a community college, it is possible to transfer 60 credits.

We are able to transfer all of your courses, if they are equivalent to FIU courses, but they will only count as 60 credits. In other words, if you took 80 credits worth of classes and they were all equivalent to FIU classes, then all the courses would be applied to your FIU transcript, but they would only count as 60 FIU credits.

This means that you would still need to take at least 60 credits at FIU in order to graduate with a degree from FIU.

Can I earn a minor in Education so that I can be certified to teach in Florida schools?

No. It is not possible to complete a minor in Education, because there is no lab for Information Technology. For more information, please contact an advisor in Education.

I do not speak a foreign language, but I took foreign language classes in High School. Do I need to take foreign language classes at FIU?

Any student who was admitted with a foreign language deficiency must successfully complete two semesters of sequential instruction in one foreign language prior to graduation. So, if you passed two years of one language in High School, then you do not need to take any foreign language classes at FIU.

I already speak a foreign language, will this fulfill the language requirement?

If you can read, speak, and write a foreign language, then there are several options available for fulfilling the language requirement.

  1. You may take a CLEP exam in German, French or Spanish.
  2. You may take a 2000 level (or higher) course in your language.
  3. If there is no CLEP for your language, it is possible to arrange an exam through the Dean with a faculty member who speaks your language.

I have taken a course in C++ (or Pascal, C, or Fortran), do I still need to take Programming I?

You should take the Programming I class. The main reason is that Programming I at FIU uses the Java programming language, and so does Programming II. In order to be properly prepared for Programming II, you will need to understand how to program in Java.

If you have already take a class in C++, and have learned to program in Java on your own, then contact an advisor.

I have taken a programming course in Visual Basic, do I need to take Programming I?

Yes, you still have to take Programming I. Visual Basic is an excellent language, but it will not prepare you for the second programming course, which uses the Java language.

What major should I have at MDC in order to be accepted into the School of Computer Science?

There are only a few classes at MDC that apply to the IT degree. The major that you select at MDC is not important. The important thing is to earn an AA degree so that all of the University Core Curriculum requirements are met.

I am a student at MDC. What classes can I take at MDC that will meet requirements for the IT program?

There are only five classes that are offered at MDC that apply directly to IT requirements.

  1. CGS1060
  2. A psychology course
  3. A discrete math course
  4. One of MAC2147, MAC1140, MAC2233, (MAC1105 and MAC1114)
  5. A Java programming class

I am a transfer student with an AA degree. What courses should I take during my first semester at FIU?

The most important class to take in your first semester is COP2250, because it is a prerequisite for all the other IT classes.

You may also take MAD1100. This course is not offered at the Community Colleges, so you will need to take it at FIU.

It is also possible to take ENC3213. This is a 3000 level class, so it is not offered at the Community Colleges.

If you are missing any of the other prerequisites then you can take them as well.

You can also take a class from your chosen Minor.

What are free electives?

In order to earn a BA or BS degree from the School of Computer Science, you must have at least 120 credits. If you complete all of your requirements for the degree in less than 120 credits, then the remaining credits are free electives. You can take just about any course to earn these credits, except for 1 and 2 credit Physical Education classes. Check with an advisor if you have a doubt.

I am have over 60 credits from a Community College, why were only 60 credits transferred?

Since a Community College is a two-year institute, we only accept 60 credits. These correspond to the credit for the first two years of course work. All of your courses have been accepted, but they only count as 60 credits.

This means that you will need to earn at least 60 credits at FIU. In most cases, you will actually need more than 60 credits at FIU to complete your degree.

What happens when my GPA falls below 2.0?

When your GPA falls below 2.0, then you are on Academic Warning the first semester. On subsequent, consecutive semesters with a GPA below 2.0, you are on Academic Probation.

If you are on Academic Probation then you must maintain a 2.0 or above for the courses you take that semester. If your semester average falls below 2.0, then you will be dismissed from FIU for one year.

If you are on probation, then do not overload yourself with course work. It is very important that you maintain a semester average of 2.0.

How can I find the UCC requirements online?

Follow this link to the FIU catalog University Core Curriculum (UCC)

How can I find the FIU catalog online?

Follow this link

I am transferring from another school. Do I have to complete all the prerequisites before being admitted to FIU?

You can be admitted to FIU without completing the prerequisites. Any missing prerequisites become additional required classes at FIU.

What is the difference between the IT degree and an MIS degree?

MIS is a business degree, with a minor emphasis on computer science. IT is a computer science degree. With the IT degree, it is possible to select a minor in any field you desire, including business.

In order to decide which degree you want, imagine the job that you would like when you graduate. If you want to be making decisions about marketing, finance, and accounting while working as a liaison with computer personnel, then choose MIS. If you like to install hardware/software, set up and administer a network, manage a web server, do simple web programming, and administer a database, then choose the IT degree.

What is the difference between the CS degree and the IT degree?

In simple terms, the CS degree will train you to be a programmer, while the IT degree will train you to be a technical support professional.

In order to decide which degree you desire, try to imagine the type of job you want when you graduate. If you dream of writing programs for a software development company (IBM, Microsoft, …), then choose the CS degree. If you like to install hardware/software, set up and administer a network, manage a web server, do simple web programming, and administer a database, then choose the IT degree.

What cognate classes are acceptable for an MIS major who is earning an IT degree as a second major?

The following classes would be acceptable as cognate electives for a student majoring in MIS and earning a second degree in IT.

  • ISM 3153
  • ISM 4054
  • ISM 4210
  • ISM 4113
  • ISM 4151
  • ISM 4220
  • ISM 4400

I am currently working on becoming MCSE certified for Windows 2000. I was wondering if this certification would receive any credit towards a Computer Science or Information Technology degree at FIU.

No credit is given for any certificates. The MCSE does not waive any courses.

Can I get a second minor in Computer Science?

No. Even if you have declared a different minor for the IT degree requirements, you still cannot earn a minor in CS.

I can’t register because I have a hold but my gpa is above 2.0

You have a US hold. You have to declare your major formally (fill out a form and have it signed by a CS advisor).

Can I minor in Computer Science.

No. An IT major must choose a minor other than Computer Science.

After I complete all of my requirements, do I have to do anything special in order to graduate?

You must apply for graduation through It is a good idea to see an advisor before applying for graduation, just to make sure that there are not any missing requirements. The deadline for applying is always within a few weeks of the start of the semester.

After you apply, please contact an adviser to confirm that the application is in the system.

Do I need to take the CLAST exams?

CLAST is no longer a university requirement.

// Live helper chat widget begin // Live helper chat widget end